Remington Model 700 XCR Tactical Long Range 300 Win Mag

Saturday, January 19, 2013

I'm back!

Wow, it's been a long time since my last entry.

I have many new videos and changes to report. The first that comes to mind is the COL of my rounds. Up to this point I didn't fully realize the importance of seating depth on accuracy.  I focused more on load recipe testing rather than seating depth testing. I've since learned my lesson and have improve my results.

I've learned that when developing a new load the first order of business is to test seating depth. Most shootings find that seating the bullets .001-.002" from the lans provides the best accuracy. This is not true for everyone and some rounds like berger VLD bullets see better group when touching the lans. Before trying different powder charges for load testing you should first test different seating depths until you find one that shoots the best groups.

Previous COL: 3.63
New COL: 3.678

208 gr Hornady AMAX
78.5 gr H1000
Federal Match Grade Large Magnum Rifle Primers

Not an amazing group but given it was shot in single digit temperatures with a cold shaky shooter I'm pleased. Turned out that the longest round I prepared shot the best group by far.

Boxes are 1'


No comments:

Post a Comment